Las Vegas

Just a brief post. (Internet access is $7.50 for 15 minutes.) Interesting conference. I just got out of the Capnography class and it was great. I made some notes and will be posting when I return. I was on the EXPO floor yesterday and it was mind-numbing. EMS is such a huge business. So many gadgets and training programs and consultants. I felkt like I was in a Tijuana market and I was trying to walk through without making eye contact with any of the vendors.

I should post next with a recap of my trip on Sunday.

As a small manchild, I attended many home shows in convention centers. It was always a joy to go home with 15 yard sticks, dozens of key chains, hats, stickers, rulers, calculators, and pens. Do these EMS conventions have any good loot to offer? I’ve always considered attending one, but not unless I can walk out of there with some big time goodies.

There was lots of the usual — pens, stickers, badge holders, magazines, different knicknacks, stuffed animals — nothing really great.

Not surprising. One day in the hospital, I ran into a pharmacutical rep. I said I would be glad to push his drugs if I could get some loot. It was some analgesic or sedative. He said, “Are you a CRNA?” I said no, I am a paramedic. He said he wouldn’t give paramedics any stuff — they have no influence on purchasing and his company, a major major player in the market, wouldn’t be happy if he gave all the nice sponsored books and steel pens to paramedics.

• Snoop says:

Hello anonymous and pc. Is it usual for drugs to be “pushed” in response to freebies from pharmaceutical companies?

I am anonymous that wrote above. I can’t speak to anything except that which I know. I know many physicians, PAs, and CNPs that will provide patients with new medications or trial samples if patients express a financial difficulty. I too have been given numerous free samples when I didn’t have health insurance. This was really nice.Sometimes a rep can get a doctor to try a new drug because it offers something unique or better than current offerings. It’s like a little taste test. I know that the CRNAs that have Sevofluorane (Ultane) pens and stickers, bags, and toys, seem to like sevofluorane in the OR. Whether they use sevo because they are influenced by the stuff, or simply have lots of sevo loot becase they think it’s a good gas is not known. I’m sure people underestimate the amount of influence that drug advertising has on them.One call I went on was with a volunteer squad a few years ago involving a rollover of a car used by a pharmacutical rep. She self-extricated and refused transport, but was really concerned about all the damaged drug samples in the car and their security. I asked how much she carried. “There’s about $50,000 in drug samples in this car” she said.

The only deal I’ve gotten as a medic was the M.D. advisor of our journal club used to get pharmacy reps to pay for our dinners. One night instead of takeout, we held it at a popular restaurant. Our numbers soared from maybe six or seven people to almost thirty. Steaks, appetizers, beers. It was great. The rep of course were trying to curry favor with the doc. The drug I believe was Diastat — the rectal valium.A friend of mine who is a PA in a doctor’s office gets free lunch everyday. Once a drug rep for a company selling a drug for rhinitis, which I think is a nose infection passed out chocolate — a big white chocolate nose and a dark chocolate RHINOcarous.